A joke about the US president has been named the cheesiest original Christmas cracker one-liner.
The gag – “What does Donald Trump do after he pulls a cracker? Pays her off.” – beat thousands of other rib-ticklers in a public poll.
The joke was tweeted by teacher Michael Hughes, 37, from Edinburgh. Judges selected the best entries from thousands of new jokes, before 2,000 people voted for their favourite, in a competition run by TV channel Gold.
Quips about Brexit, high street store closures and the flossing dance trend also made the top 15 wisecracks.
Michael’s gag will now be included in sets of bespoke Gold Christmas crackers.
He said: “I can’t quite believe it. I was just trying to be a bit satirical with the joke, as well as original. I’m absolutely delighted to have won.”
Christmas quips which topped poll…
- What does Donald Trump do after he pulls a cracker? Pays her off.
- Why is Theresa May encouraging board games at Christmas? She’s trying to bring back Chequers.
- Why has Debenhams been forced to cancel its Christmas nativity play? No prophet.
- What does Philip Green buy former employees for Christmas? Their silence.
- When do sheep practise their new dance? While shepherds watched them floss by night.